This Policy applies to all external parties, namely, visitors to Jason King websites and social media pages, subscribers to Jason King briefings and marketing materials, and any other individual whose personal information may be collected, stored and used by Jason King or its partners. This Policy also applies to Jason King’s management of personal information across all of its offices (in Australia and internationally).
Jason King understands that the right of individuals to their privacy is important, and demonstrates this by complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) Jason King as well as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth).
How Jason King collects personal information
Jason King collects personal information only by lawful and fair means. It is Jason King’s usual practice to collect personal information directly from you when you deal with Jason King by phone, letter, email, face-to-face or online, including when you:
• Make an enquiry with Jason King;
• Register an account on a Jason King website;
• Subscribe to a newsletter or register to receive brochures (e.g. through a Jason King website);
• Enter a promotion or competition, including through a Jason King website;
• Have business dealings with Jason King (whether as job applicant, as an employee of one of Jason King’s external service providers, if you work for a government agency Jason King deals with, in the context of a transaction, or if you volunteer personal information to Jason King).
Where it is practicable, you may choose to remain anonymous or adopt a pseudonym when dealing with Jason King.
Personal information that Jason King collects
The types of personal information that Jason King collects will depend on the nature of your dealings with its products and services and may include your name, contact details, photographic information, your views and opinions about Jason King services, travel information. In particular:
• If you deal with Jason King in the course of business, Jason King will generally collect only your business contact details (so Jason King can communicate with you for normal business purposes).
• Jason King also collects personal information about its employees (including job applicants) and contractors (personnel records).
• If you make a complaint, Jason King will generally collect your name, address or email address and details about the complaint.
How Jason King uses and discloses personal information
Jason King will only use and disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected, or otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act. For example, if you register on a Jason King website, Jason King will use your name and email address to send you this information. Other examples include use or disclosure for the purpose of:
• Providing you with the publications or services you have requested;
• Marketing communications;
• Complaint handling;
• Research and forecasting;
• Employment purposes; and,
• Performing specific statutory or administrative functions, for example responding to a request under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 or under the Privacy Act.
Examples of third parties Jason King may disclose your personal information to include external service providers such as IT consultants, professional advisers, publishing houses and marketing/advertising agencies, or business partners with whom Jason King has a formal contractual relationship with.
Jason King will not use or disclose personal information for a purpose other than that for which it was collected unless:
• Your consent is obtained;
• Jason King is required to, or authorised by an Australian law or a court or tribunal order; or,
• Otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Jason King may also use or disclose your personal information for a secondary purpose related to, or directly related to, the purpose of collection where you would reasonably expect that your information would be used for this other purpose. These secondary purposes may include activities such as quality assurance.
At or before the time Jason King collects your personal information (or as soon as practical afterwards), Jason King will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to provide you with a collection notice containing the following information setting out, among other things, the purpose of collection.
Disclosure of personal information overseas
It is possible that Jason King will disclose your personal information overseas as part of its marketing functions. Countries in which recipients are likely to be located include the USA, UK, China, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Germany and New Zealand.
Jason King does not disclose your personal information to any overseas recipient unless one of the following applies:
• The recipient is subject to a law or binding scheme substantially similar to the Australian Privacy Principles, including mechanisms for enforcement.
• You have consented to the disclosure after being expressly informed that Jason King will not be taking reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the Australian Privacy Principles.
• It is required or authorised by law.
• It is required or authorised by an international agreement relating to information sharing to which Australia is a party.
• It is reasonably necessary for an enforcement related activity conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body and the recipient performs similar functions.
• Another exception under the Privacy Act applies such as those contained in Australian Privacy Principle 8 of the Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
Security of personal information
Jason King takes security of personal information seriously and has implemented a range of physical and electronic security measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or misuse including the implementation of firewalls.
Electronic records of personal information collected by Jason King are stored in databases that are hosted on servers in Australia as well as overseas, primarily in Singapore, Italy, Netherlands, the United Kingdom and the US. In each case, Jason King’s IT systems are protected by appropriate IT security measures.
Access and correction.
Under the Privacy Act, you have the right to seek access to the records of personal information that Jason King holds about you. You also have the right to ask Jason King to alter your personal information if you think the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading.
If you wish to access or correct your personal information that Jason King holds, please submit a written request setting out what information you wish to access or correct, your name and a mailing/email address to Jason King, using the contact details set out at the end of this Policy. Jason King may require you to verify your identity. Jason King will respond to your request within 30 days.
If Jason King refuses to provide you with access to your personal information or to correct that information as you request, it will provide you with reasons for that refusal and information about how to make a complaint.
You may also request access to and seek correction of personal information under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
Online privacy issues
If you use Jason King’s websites (including Australiainfo.com.au) information is recorded about your visit for web personalisation, research and statistical and reporting purposes as well as to allow Jason King to improve its websites, products and services.
In general, you can visit Jason King’s websites without telling Jason King who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. However, there are times when Jason King may need to collect your personal information. For instance, if you register to receive Jason King publications, Jason King will need to collect some personal information from you for this purpose. In this case, Jason King will provide notice and seek your permission to send you further electronic communications, and for your personal information to be stored in its databases. If at any time after submitting your personal information to Jason King you would no longer like to receive information, simply contact Jason King using the contact details listed at the end of this Policy.
No attempt will be made by Jason King to identify website users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect server logs. The statistics and log files may be preserved indefinitely and used at any time and in any way necessary to prevent security breaches and to ensure the integrity of the information supplied by Jason King.
Where you use Jason King’s social media pages (such as Facebook or Twitter) Jason King will not collect any personal information about you without your consent.
You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it. However, by not accepting cookies, some webpages may not display properly or you may not be permitted to access certain information.
No personal information is stored within Jason King’s cookies. Cookies are important for Jason King websites and are used to provide the best possible online experience. By continuing to use this site you are consenting to their use.
Jason King strives to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of personal information submitted to its websites, and periodically updates its security measures in light of current technologies. You need to be aware of inherent risks associated with the transmission of information via the Internet. Jason King cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any personal information you submit to its websites.
Jason King websites may also be linked to websites operated by third parties. These links are meant for your convenience only. Links to third party websites do not constitute sponsorship, endorsement or approval of these websites. Visitors to those websites should refer to their separate privacy policies and practices.
If you wish to complain about how Jason King manages personal information, you should submit a written complaint by email using the contact details set out in this policy. Jason King will endeavour to respond to your complaint within 30 days.
If you are not satisfied with Jason King’s response, you may make a written complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. If you make a complaint directly to the Privacy Commissioner, the Commissioner will likely recommend that you try to resolve the complaint directly with Jason King in the first instance.
For more information about the Australian Information Commissioner or the Privacy Commissioner, you can visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner’s website (https://www.oaic.gov.au/) or phone 1300 363 992 (local call charge).
Managing your account
If you wish to delete or make any changes to your Australiainfo.com.au account, please contact us via email at email@example.com.
We will endeavour to reply to your email request within 14 business days.
If you have any questions about this Policy or if you wish to make a complaint, contact Jason King via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jason King periodically reviews this Policy and reserves the right at its discretion to modify or remove portions at any time. Any amendments will be notified by posting an updated version on its website.